Digital shot of Nettie by Rich Burroughs.
I finally got to shoot with Nettie Harris, we shot twice in the time she was here in Portland. She’s been one of my favorite models for some time, and I feel more strongly about that after working with her. I could ramble on for pages about her but here are a few things:
1) When I was making the bed before our first shoot she jumped in to help me without me asking.
2) We had a crazy long thread of messages before we met, talking about art and ideas for the shoot. The most interesting preshoot communication I’ve ever had, by far.
3) She’s shot with Todd Hido several times, one of my favorite photographers. We talked about his work and it was very interesting.
4) She’s shot with Terry Richardson several times, not one of my favorite photographers. But we discussed his work and I think she really gets it.
5) We shot outside for a bit, she was wearing her own dress and some pretty shoes. She sat in a pile of leaves and got down on the wet ground without me asking.
6) She says “Right on” a lot, and it’s pretty adorable.
7) She has a bush and will not shave it.
8) She smokes and loves images with smoking in them, but was very supportive of the fact that I don’t really want that in my work.
These were easily two of the funnest, most interesting, most productive shoots I’ve had. One set of our images will be appearing in the first issue of Fixation Magazine in February. And I’m sure you’ll be seeing a lot more from our shoots.